How can I get People to Work Together Cooperatively?
Assess Your Work Environment
You need to build a culture where teamwork thrives, people are happy and productive doing their best work, and can remain resilient in the face of constant unrelenting change. Changing a culture requires a systematic effort over time. Moving too fast or too slow may interfere with daily operations and become taxing and ultimately wearying.
Specific steps to build a positive culture in your business include:
- Describing your Future and Current States
- Obtaining Management Buy-in and Commitment
- Implementing a Change Strategy
- Reviewing and Changing your Strategy
To be effective any change management process requires:
- The involvement of people.
- An emphasis on results.
- A total systems approach.
- Continuing commitment, not merely lip service.
Strategies for Maintaining a Positive Culture where People Work Together
The following will assist you to maintain a positive culture where people work together effectively:
- Vision and Values - This can provide clear direction on "how things are (or should be) around here"
- Code of Conduct - Describes appropriate behaviour in the workplace
- Policies and Procedures - Particularly around bullying, harassment and discrimination
- Team Groundrules - Develops norms around communication, conflict-resolution and appropriate behaviour
- Recruitment Practices - Recruiting people whose values are congruent with your business' values
- Communication Practices - Communicate clearly and often
- Reward and Recognition Systems - To encourage desired behaviours, skills and practices
- Induction Programmes - People are more open to a new "culture" during their first day on the job
- Training and Development Programmes - Use them to reinforce desired behaviours. All training should contain some motivational content
Get in Touch with Jump
If you need help, or you answered no or unsure to any of the questions in the assessment tool, then Jump Business Solutions can help you. Phone us on +64 6 754 8987 or +64 27 450 5271 or email email@example.com and Jump will come to you, discover your needs, and develop a solution that will create real, long-term and positive change for you and your business.
The contents of this website are for general informational purposes only, and should not be acted upon without specific advice. Jump Business Solutions does not accept any liability, other than to its clients, and then only in relation to specific requests for advice and consultancy. Site Design & Photography by Wheadon Creative