How do I Develop my Leaders and Staff?
Assess Staff Development Readiness
What is Staff Development?
Staff development is the cumulative result of day-to-day interactions between the manager and the staff. It is a continuous process that takes place over a long period of time. It requires patience and a long-range perspective. The most critical factor in developing staff is to create an environment in which cooperation, communication, and an open exchange of ideas can take place.
Managers should keep in mind that talented people may leave the organisation even if their salary is adequate. Staff often need new challenges to keep them stimulated and satisfied with their jobs. It is the manager's responsibility to recognise their potential and provide them with new opportunities.
What are the Benefits of Developing Staff and Leaders?
Learning is vital to today's world. Everyone needs to keep up with technological and market changes. Businesses who develop the careers of their people, benefit in the following ways:
- Develop a reputation as a good employer and therefore able to attract and retain excellent people
- Increase in the skills of their people in a cost-effective way - It is often more costly to hire and train new staff, even when the new staff have required qualifications for a new position, than it is to develop the skills of existing staff members.
- Retaining people who become increasingly competent and skilled.
- Improve intellectual capital and expertise to draw on for effective decision-making.
- Create a satisfying place to work.
- Business as a whole becomes stronger, more productive, and ultimately more sustainable.
How do I Develop My People?
The first step is a to undertake an assessment or appraisal to understand how well an employee is performing in their current role. It also identifies, at the earliest point possible, where and when an employee needs or is ready for further formal development, or if they have reached a level to increase the scope of their contribution to the employer.
The 360-degree appraisal which takes input from their manager, peers, internal customers, and more junior staff gives a more rounded appraisal. It also reinforces a consensual and less hierarchical culture.
There are many opportunities to improve the performance, motivation, and ability of staff through on-the-job and off-the-job techniques. These techniques include:
- Increasing their responsibilities through effective delegation and supervision.
- Increasing employee participation in decision making in areas that affect their work, and giving recognition for their contribution.
- Allowing employees to have paid time off from work to attend professional seminars, lectures, or classroom courses.
- Providing basic and refresher training on a regular basis, as well as specialised training in response to needs communicated by individual staff.
- Providing the opportunity for study opportunities inside or outside the country.
- Developing a job rotation program that enables staff to learn the jobs of others within the organization.
- Providing materials to read for self-study.
- Encouraging individual initiatives and suggestions for improving business performance.
- Providing frequent feedback and positive reinforcement for carrying out new responsibilities.
- Establishing an employee career development path.
- Using daily interaction with your staff and regular staff meetings to impart and share new knowledge and experience.
Employing the above techniques alone, will not necessarily ensure that staff will be motivated to participate in activities for self-development. You must also provide incentives to employees by offering opportunities for projects, promotions and transfers, so that employee skills are matched to appropriate jobs and they have the opportunity to use their abilities to their fullest potential.
Get in Touch with Jump
If you need help, or you answered no or unsure to any of the questions in the assessment tool, then Jump Business Solutions can help you. Phone us on +64 6 754 8987 or +64 27 450 5271 or email email@example.com and Jump will come to you, discover your needs, and develop a solution that will create real, long-term and positive change for you and your business.
The contents of this website are for general informational purposes only, and should not be acted upon without specific advice. Jump Business Solutions does not accept any liability, other than to its clients, and then only in relation to specific requests for advice and consultancy. Site Design & Photography by Wheadon Creative