How do I add Humour to the Workplace?
Assess your Workplace Humour and Health
What are the Benefits of having Fun in Your Workplace?
When we laugh, we retain more than 80% of the information learned. Laughter enables people to be flexible and creative in high-risk, change-racked environments. It eases stress and increases productivity under pressure.
Humour and fun in your workplace:
- Boosts morale;
- Improves relations; and
- Increases productivity.
How does Laughter Benefit You?
Humour and laughter for therapeutic value are being increasingly recognised today throughout the world. More than 70 per cent of illnesses have some relation to stress. High blood pressure, heart disease, depression, insomnia, migraine, anxiety, allergies, peptic ulcers - the list goes on. Laughter reduces the release of stress related hormones and aids in relaxation.
Laughter benefits you physically by:
- Improving respiration and circulation
- Oxygenating the blood
- Lowering blood pressure
- Strengthening your heart beat
- Improving lung capacity and oxygen levels in the blood
- Increases muscular and respiratory activity
- Stimulates the cardiovascular system, the sympathetic nervous system, and the production of catecholamines
- Increases antibodies-the body's first line of defense against respiratory illness
- Decreases levels of stress hormones
- Decreases heart rate (in "heavy laughers")
- Increases pain tolerance
- Stimulates the muscular and skeletal systems
- Stimulating the nervous system
- Strengthening the immune system - by helping to increase the count of natural killer lymphocytes (a type of white cell) and raise the antibody levels
- Releasing healing chemicals e.g. endorphines
- Tones up the muscles of your face and leads to an increase of blood supply which nourishes the facial skin and makes it glow
Laughter benefits you mentally as it:
- Acts as a powerful stress reducer
- Encourages adaptability
- Boosts your creativity
- Increases productivity
- Enhances mental flexibility
Laughter benefits you emotionally by:
- giving you courage to deal with adverse situations
- Boosting playfulness and spontaneity
- Building morale
- Building relationships
How do I Create Humour in the Workplace?
Lead the Way
Be proactive with your health and laugh more. A rule that successful leaders follow is ó the only thing you can change is yourself.
- Are you having fun? If not, why not?
- If youíre not having fun, who else will?
Inspire Fun in Others - Become a Catalyst
Encourage others to engage in fun-loving activities and lead by example. Do something that will be fun. And take some risks!
Create an Environment which Encourages Fun
Music, bright colours and toys are good to relieve stress. Create surprise by changing things around regularly.
Celebrate the Benefits of Fun
Every successful cause has a champion. Become fun-atical about recognizing fun when you see it. If you reward fun, it will reward you. Be a fun-cilitator!
Remove Barriers to Fun
Make it your goal to find and remove those things and those people that inhibit the free flow of fun.
Look for the Humour in your Situation
Be the person who laughs when things look bleak. Remember "Laughing with others is an ice breaker while laughing at others is an ice maker."
Donít wait for fun to find you or for the perfect moment; make fun happen when you need it.
Donít Postpone your Fun
Fun isnít a reward; itís the lubricant which gets things done easily and effectively. Make fun a regular part of your daily routine.
Make Fun Inclusive
The first rule of fun has always been, the more the merrier. Fun isnít a private club, itís for sharing.
Smile. And laugh. A lot.
When you say ďhiĒ with a smile, youíll find people smile back. It takes no special skill and costs nothing.
Become known as "Fun-lovingĒ
Make it your personal mission to infuse fun into everything you do. Everyone will want to be on your team.
Put Fun into Action.Just begin. Make the commitment and watch it unfold before your eyes.
Get in Touch with Jump
If you need help, or you answered no or unsure to any of the questions in the assessment tool, then Jump Business Solutions can help you. Phone us on +64 6 754 8987 or +64 27 450 5271 or email email@example.com and Jump will come to you, discover your needs, and develop a solution that will create real, long-term and positive change for you and your business.
The contents of this website are for general informational purposes only, and should not be acted upon without specific advice. Jump Business Solutions does not accept any liability, other than to its clients, and then only in relation to specific requests for advice and consultancy. Site Design & Photography by Wheadon Creative